Monday, October 29, 2012

Looking to the Future

"Never And Forever" has been my easiest album to make so far.  I really could have finished it earlier this year if I hadn't taken a few months off this summer.  Part of the reason that this album came so quickly (besides the fact that it only has 8 tracks) is because most of the songs were already written before i went to record it.  In fact, with each album there are a certain number of tracks that are written well before the recording process begins.

As I approaching the end of the recording process this time around, things are a bit different.  There are no songs that are waiting in the wings to be recorded for the next project.  Looking forward to the next project I realize that I've got nothing.  Sure there's a few lyrical ideas I've had floating around, lots of brief musical outlines that could become songs, but nothing that approaches a complete song in any way.  I'd say this excites me more than worries me.  I look forward to entering a period of focusing on purely writing music again.  I feel like I've grown and changed as a songwriter and I'm curious and enthusiastic about what sort of songs I can come up with.

"Never And Forever" had a certain tone, a certain feel, and it told a certain story in a concise way.  Part of the reason it was such a short album was to keep that sense of continuity.  It stands as a great piece of work (in my opinion of course) but I don't think it represents what lies ahead.  I'd really like to do something a little more upbeat and positive.  My songs always seem to lean towards the bittersweet.  I'd like to do a little more of the sweet (without completely abandoning the bitter).  Something fun (without being cheesy).  In the end, who knows how it will actually turn out?  But these are my thoughts right now as I anticipate having a completely blank slate to work with.

Of course right now I just need to finish the task at hand.

No comments: