Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Update...5 Down, 3 to Go

7 months Later...

So...apparently I haven't blogged in a while.  Fortunately that doesn't mean that I haven't been working during all these months.  Sure, I can admit that this has taken longer than I thought it would...that I've seen self imposed deadlines come and go more than once.  Could I have been finished by now had I put in adequate time and effort?  Quite possibly.  But in reality life (and inspiration) just doesn't work that way.

Yes, there are times when I just don't have it in me to sit down at a computer at the end of a long day and pound out work on these same songs I've now heard hundreds of times.  That being said, I am still quite fond of this current batch of music and firmly believe this will easily be the best work I've ever done.  Creativity and motivation seem to come in spurts, and I try to get the most out of those periods before they disappear.

I'm now well past the halfway point.  5 of the 8 songs are finished.  4 of those have been listenable online for many months now.  If you haven't heard them in a while, it might be a good idea to go and check them out.  I've been quietly making changes and improvements to those online files.  Track #4, "You Can Never Go Home" has had the most substantial facelift compared to the first version I posted months ago.  I think it's really come together nicely.  In retrospect, I probably made it available for listening sooner than I should have.  Sometimes I just get too excited for people to hear new stuff.

I'm currently fighting the temptation to make some more music available for listening.  Track #5, "Save My Soul" could really be released today and I would be happy with it.  But my philosophy with this record has been one of "good is not good enough".  And so I find myself taking things that are good and trying to make them better.  As good as "Save My Soul" is right at this moment, I still have a couple of things I want to try that will improve it.  For example, at this point the song has no acoustic strumming whatsoever, and really I don't miss it that much and it may not need it...but I'd like to add it just to see how it sounds.  Also, the end of the song needs...I don't know...something.  I don't know what specifically, but I'll know it when I hear it.  And really it doesn't NEED it...it's really good as it is...but why not take that extra step toward greatness?

The remaining 3 songs are already recorded in very rough versions.  I could see them being finished very quickly but again, inspiration is fickle and comes and goes at her pleasure.  So really we're looking at early next year before it will all be ready for you to lovingly download onto you hard drive.  but I'll go ahead and say that I really believe that it's going to be something that people will enjoy and come back to.  Something worthy of your playlists.

Also, I'll try to keep the blog a little more current...in case there is anyone out there who actually cares and reads this.

No comments: