Monday, December 26, 2011

6. "Burst Apart" by The Antlers



Unfortunately I didn’t discover The Antlers first album, Hospice (2009), until earlier this year.  That being a devastating and emotionally brutal concept of an album that completely draws every bit of feeling you could expect from it’s title, it could simultaneously rip you apart while at the same time trying to put you back together again.  I’ve never heard or felt anything quite like it.  It would definitely have been my top album of 2009, if only I’d known it existed.  

But alas, this review is not about that album.  Compared to Hospice, Burst Apart took a while to for me to really get into.  I think I’m beginning to realize the reason for that is because a lot of the music of Burst Apart is just a bunch really good musical ideas rather than “songs” in the traditional sense.  The beauty is in the subtleties that you often don’t notice until the 5th or 6th listen.  This may not pack the emotional wallop of their previous effort, but maybe that’s a good thing.


No comments: