Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Joy of Just Playing

Hello Friends,
Things are very close to being finished. I'm a mere few hours away from getting the final vocal tracks recorded for the last remaining song. When I will actually get to start those hours is another question. After recording is finished, it will just be a matter if going back and making any last minute adjustments to any of the songs that need it.

For several years now, as I've been working on this project, I find that when I have the time I feel guilty if I'm not hard at work with recording and mixing these songs that are all 4 or 5 years old at this point. The production aspect has taken a front seat to actually playing music, which I really have done very little of in recent years. So much in fact that I've at times found that picking up the guitar and attempting to play is not as effortless as it once was. In short, I've gotten a bit rusty and it is frustrating. My fingers will hurt sooner than they should because they are not as tough as they once were. It often takes a concerted effort that once wasn't necessary and I feel the quality of my performance has suffered out of sheer neglect.

But last night I decided to forgo work on the album and just pick up the guitar and play. It was the most rewarding musical experience I've had in a while. It felt great. My fingers are back to their old strength, the music came forth with ease, and most importantly, my heart was in it. It was nice to feel that again.

I can't wait to get this album completely finished so I can get back to the less technical part of creating music...writing the actual songs. And I just think I should mention, I've got quite a few good ones coming through these days. I can't wait to flesh them out and see what kind of life they take on in the recording process. One song particularly has me excited, "Come and Gone" has the potential to be the most beautiful thing I've ever written. I love it. Hopefully you will too.

Stay tuned. Much more to come in the weeks ahead concerning album completion and release.

Much Love,
James

No comments: